View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 02:37 AM   #32
Tomsdad

Default Re: Handling Long-Range Musketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It's not really.

For pretty much any modern weapon, hit probability for a correctly aimed shot at 100 meters will be 100%. In the real world, shots at 100 meters do not hit anywhere near 100% of the time. This tells us that most shots are not in fact correctly aimed -- i.e. the issue is shooter error, not anything about the gun. GURPS skill is mostly about error rates.
I'm not sure about this as some guns will make it easier to correctly aim at a target 100 yards away. I.e if I shoot a sniper rifle with a scope zeroed in for 100 yards it will be less forgiving of my user error than if I try and hit the same target with a derringer. I.e while my skill is obviously a factor so is the gun I'm using, as different guns will mitigate the effects of user error by different amounts.

Which to be fair is what you seem to be saying here (which makes me think I'm misreading what your saying above):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
A more realistic version of accuracy than what GURPS does would be an aim bonus that is completely determined by the ergonomics of the weapon, and then a maximum skill that is determined by the intrinsic accuracy of the gun.
This infers that user skill and gun accuracy are both sources of increased likelihood of hitting and potentially limiting factors for successful hitting (something I agree with).

As other have said this seem to be generally what GURPS currently does (Skill being both already, guns giving an Acc bonuses and MoA hard cap on skill)

However that said IME the MoA cap doesn't often come in for most shooters and most shots even an Acc 2 pistol is going to be Max skill 24. Which dos suggest that the user is more often the limiting factor than the gun. Which again I think I agree with (is this what you referring to in the first bit above?)

So I think if you're looking to adjust how GURPS works here a good way it to adjust when these different limiting factors kick in, which can be done in two ways I think:

1). Changing the basic MoA calculation e.g instead of 20+(2xAcc) maybe 17+(3xAcc)
2). Changing what Mods you factor in to that equation other than basic wepoan Acc.

An example of this last one might be say to model the issues of smooth bore shot have hastily loaded Smooth bore muskets have a-2 to Acc for MoA purpose for it max skill would be 20 +2x(2-2) = 20 which means skill would be capped at 20 making long range shots over 100 yards more down to luck then either skill or steps taken to improve accuracy.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 05-13-2016 at 12:19 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote