Thread: New Skills
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 07:37 AM   #123
Rick_Smith

Default Expert Skills - Some suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luguvalium View Post
This is what I had been thinking about: Someone who knows a weapon well usually trains with a particular weapon and they don't automatically have an an advantage with all weapons even if they are similar. A talent for Weapon Expert ( weapon ) This require a minimum DX of 13 and will give the character a +3DX to hit with that particular weapon and also limit the optional rules of Aimed Shots to only those with Weapon Expert ()
Hi Luguvalium,
I was rereading this thread and found I had not commented on this post. (Likely because I agreed with it.) But on rereading, I have some arguments with what you suggest.

I generally do not like talents that just give you +3 DX, I would suggest you might like to have these advanced talents do +2 damage with the appropriate weapons. (+1 for bows, but they can be shot twice per turn, and already are super useful, being able to do ranged damage.)

The number of memory slots are again very highly limited, so the upper level talents should INCLUDE the lower. So Sword ii goes in the same memory IQ (mIQ) slot as Sword i. For example if Sword i cost 1 mIQ, then Sword ii would cost 2, but include the first level in it.

I think that the idea that you have to have a certain level of competence before you can use the aimed shots is brilliant. (It helps keep these complex rules away from new players until they are running more experienced characters. And it is a step up in competence and ability reflected in the growing ability with the weapon skill.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luguvalium View Post
[These new talents] will replace Thrown Weapons, Missile Weapons, and Fencing. Weapon is a specific weapon like Dagger, or Rapier, or Longbow. The GM can decide if another weapon is similar enough to qualify. Each Expert(weapon) talent cost 2 points. ...
Hmmm... Yes. If you are going to give each of these advanced talents a bonus to DX, then Missile Weapons, Thrown Weapons should definitely go away. Well, Thrown Weapons could retain the ability to ready and throw in one turn.

I wouldn't mind Missile Weapons so much if it reduced the range penalty by 3, but didn't increase your DX.

I note that if all of your Expert Talents behaved identically, you would only need ONE entry for all of these different talents. A single short paragraph would generate several new talents. This would also automatically help a few orphan talents (like Pole Weapons), which have no way to improve them beyond the single basic talent.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote