View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 01:28 AM   #40
zot

Default Re: Fright Checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Perhaps it's a new kind of mechanism -- creatures have a "frightfulness" factor assigned to them, and the Players have to roll against that number instead of one of their own characteristics; though that idea assumes that everyone always reacts to the creature in the same way, which presumably wouldn't be true either.
That's pretty much what I'm suggesting. I don't think that this approach necessarily means everyone reacts in the same way--just that all characters have an equal chance making their unmodified roll. If the character is a seasoned, brave adventurer, give them a bonus, or, if they fail their roll, just minimize the effect instead of having them flee in terror. Even the bravest of the brave can be momentarily stunned when encountering the horrifying.
Last year I proposed using the low, middle, or high attribute (abbreviated 3/L, 3/M, and 3/H for the three dice versions) for rolls that don't depend on a particular attribute but still get better with experience. If I recall correctly, I think M doesn't provide much variance -- I had the ranges in my post about this and the main issues I was trying to address were fear and social interaction, since IQ shouldn't provide an advantage in either situation.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote