View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 02:10 AM   #16
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: EuroSpace E950 Minerva Executive Transatmospheric Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewVilter View Post
Only by continuously expending energy to maintain altitude.
Which is already factored into the stats.

Quote:
That is only true in "space" (whatever that means). If you out of the atmosphere but not yet in orbit (or passed escape velocity) then you are on a suborbital trajectory.
Well, of course you need to time your ascent such that you're going from Very Thin to Trace, you've already attained orbital velocity.

Quote:
If you are trying to go up with 0.05 G of thrust and being pulled down at ~0.8 G you are going to fall. One way to get around this is to "jump" out of the atmosphere (using, for example a combination of rockets and air breathers) and then accelerate to orbital velocity before you fall back into the atmosphere. That is not going to work if the accelerate-to-orbital-velocity part takes 6 hours. Well, I guess it all depends on how high you jump...but yeah I really don't think that would work. :/
Why would I ever thrust up? You can't fly a TAV up unless it can do >1G. In fact, flying up is totally against the whole point of building a TAV.

Quote:
And here I'm talking about keeping your self out of the atmosphere while you accelerate to orbital velocity.
You attain the velocity gradually as you leave the atmosphere gradually.