View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #73
Icelander

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#40): Discriminatory Senses, Sensitive Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Well, I have to grant that that argument carries a good bit of weight, at least for what TK is stated to be capable of in the Basic Set. Let's look at the details, though.

* There are forms of TK where this may well not apply. Attraction/Repulsion, for example, is effectively the tractor/pressor beams of space opera. Magnetism may also not register as "tactile"; there are Detect Magnetism and Detect Magnetic Materials, after all.

* Not all aspects of "touch" are included in TK, I think. Can you tell, using your telekinetic hands, whether something you're picking up with them is hot or cold? Can you hold them up to a fire and feel the warmth? Can they be injured and cause you to feel pain? If you telekinetically grab someone, and they have an attack with Contact Agent and Aura, does it apply to you, or to your invisible "hands"?

* Even restricting to the purely sensory and mechanical dimensions of "touch," TK might not need all of them. You have to be able to tell when your "hands" have encountered a surface, rather than have them sink into it; so they have to be able to tell that a solid (or liquid) surface is there. You probably have to be able to tell how much resistance is being given to the force you're applying. But you may not need to be able to judge textures by sliding your "fingertip" along a surface, or read Braille telekinetically (though now I think of it, that's kind of a neat image). Imagine a robot with "fingers" whose interiors contain very sensitive strain gauges, so it can apply very precisely measured force—pick up an egg without breaking it, for example—but it has no cutaneous receptors that can feel the smoothness of eggshell.

* Can you reach inside a solid object and manipulate its interior? The idea that TK miraculously aids lockpicking seems to suggest this. If you just had four hands instead of two, it wouldn't be such a big deal.

* What about this? TK does give you tactile feedback. But normal use of it is visually guided, just as normal use of hands is visually guided. To use it nonvisually, you need to buy "Work by Touch" as a technique, and it's a different technique for TK than for your hands.
This is indeed what I've always assumed, yes.

It occured to me, however, that instead of buying Work By Touch for multiple skills, at some point, Sensitive Touch that worked with Telekinesis would be simpler and cheaper.