View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Converting GURPS characters to TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
Looking at the GURPS material on sale, so much of it! But despite several attempts I've never gotten into it. So does anyone have guidance or pointers on how to approximately convert GURPS characters to TFT? I figure there must be a lot of expertise on these boards.

I'm not looking for anything exact, but for example, if a GURPS module says the party runs meets four 150-pt characters, is that about the same as 36 pt TFT or what?
Yes 150-pt warriors might be about like 36 pt fighters in TFT, or they might not.

I would ignore the GURPS character points, as they are a total of many things which don't have TFT equivalents.

I'd look at the attributes and skill levels, and the advantages and disadvantages.

A quick & dirty basic system for fast conversion would be something like:

ST is ST
However give them the TFT minST for whatever weapon they use if it is lower, which it likely will be. (e.g. In GURPS Broadsword only needs ST 10, Greatsword needs ST 12.)

DX is DX for non-skill DX purposes.
Look at the main weapon skill level - either use that for a fighter's DX, or maybe take half-way between there and their DX, depending on what power level you want. Or actually use the skill levels listed (or a bit less) as their DX for each weapon.

IQ is IQ for non-skill IQ purposes.
Look at their main professional skill levels and either just use that value (or average it with IQ) when rolling for those tasks, or give them that TFT IQ (or average it with IQ to get their TFT IQ).

in 3e books, HT is the damage (hitpoints) part of ST - you can choose to ignore it, use it for ST, average it with ST to get TFT ST, or give the TFT character a split ST.

in 4e books, HT is just health, but it makes you harder to kill - I'd tend to ignore it or give it a little less weight than 3e HT for hitpoint purposes.

Wizards are a bit harder to convert because (assuming the main GURPS Magic system is being used - there are a few others), most spell success is calculated not on DX but on IQ + Magery + spell skill (starts at -2), so they tend to get high IQ + Magery, and the chance for most GURPS mages to succeed on a spell is pretty high, which would tend to look like you should give even starting PC mages pretty high DX and IQ. If you directly converted, a typical starting PC mage would look like ST 10 DX 15 IQ 15-18. But GURPS Magic isn't quite as powerful, especially not in missile spells, and other spells get resistance rolls and aren't quite as powerful, and are limited by complex trees or prerequisites more often than by IQ or magery, but they can get tons of them (1 point each). I'd develop some sort of sliding scale, and look at what their spells actually are and how they would map to the spells in Wizard, and convert based on that.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote