View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #8
Skarg

Default Re: Starleader Assault Reimagined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
First, Starleader Assault was not a Steve Jackson designed game. The design, while promising in scope was underdeveloped, and has serious problems.
I quite agree. Tried to like it, liked a thing or two about it, but it needed much more playtesting & development. Had serious issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
Having written several high-tech TFT variants, I think that the answer is "yes". I would not use the Starleader system, however. As I recall, it uses action points ala Snapshot/Azhanti High Lightning. Action point systems make decent enough tactical wargames, but tend to be too fiddly for RPG combat system use.

A high tech TFT system would need a couple of minor tweaks.

First, some kind of 'snapshot' fire that would let a figure fire a readied gun (at a DX penalty) during the movement phase. Otherwise, "panzerbushing" becomes a serious problem.
I've made a few attempts too. I don't hate action point systems, and like crunchy combat systems, but they're tricky to get right (q.v. problems in Starleader Assault).

The main problems I see are:

* large time scale variations: gun combat tends to be fast and deadly, so you need significant resolution of who shoots whom first in a second or two, but you also want to be able to do much longer actions...

* large distance variation: you need to be able to handle close scale action and also fire from 100m or more away... and (I at least) want both to be mapped and use counters...

* use of cover and body position and getting the drop on people (how likely is it you can spot someone before they spot you, and what's the modifier to hit someone) are very important to who wins, but making simple consistent mechanics for that can be tricky

* you also want good mechanics for fast-draw contests, pop-up and peek-around attacks, grenade lobbing, ducking for cover, etc.

* you also want good mechanics for high-rate-of-fire automatic weapon use

* there should be rules for suppression

* and then, yes, a good system for damage and armor penetration and so on. Not an easy problem to get satisfying and fun results for, but it seems perhaps less challenging that the others above, depending on what you want.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote