View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #29
Mgellis

Default Re: [FAQ] Section 0. Before you start using GURPS . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post

Thanks in advance!
I like the concept. I might phrase some things differently. Among other things, the tone might be a little negative. It might scare people off. ("Wow, this sounds like more work than I thought it would be...") I might make a lot of what you wrote originally a second section, extra things to watch out for, once you get through a section like this...

--------

Playing GURPS is easy. In almost all cases, all you have to do is remember two things...1) To do something well, roll low. 2) There is one exception to the first thing...if you hit something, to hurt it badly, roll high. That's it. Pretty much everything else in the rules is for explaining when and why you might need to make a particular roll.

People say making characters in GURPS is hard, but that really is not true. GURPS lets you play virtually any kind of character in any kind or genre of role-playing game. That means you have a LOT of choices. Hundreds of advantages, skills, perks, character flaws, and so on. It can be a bit overwhelming at first. So...

When in doubt, just keep it simple. Especially at first. Figure out a couple of things the character is good at. Make those his critical skills. Make sure at least one of them has something to do with adventuring, like Search or Guns (Pistol). Give him one or two cool advantages, if they're allowed in that particular campaign. Give him one or two interesting character flaws. Then run with it until you feel comfortable with GURPS. Then you can start working on your version of that guy from Bleach...

Be sure it's the right character for the campaign, too. If you're playing a realistic mystery, a talking puppet or a vampire probably won't fit the game very well...a nosy kid, a retired boxer, and a chemistry teacher, on the other hand, might do pretty well.

If you're converting a character from another campaign, literature, film, etc., one trick that will save you a lot of time is to focus on the feel rather than the exact mechanics. What exactly does nine levels in Spot mean? Probably +3 or +4 to Perception or a good level of Observation skill. Pick something you have the points for and go with it. Does James Bond have Guns (Pistol)-17 or Guns (Pistol)-18? It's impossible to know for sure. Pick whatever feels right (if you have the points for it) and go with it. Want to create Spiderman in GURPS? Which version? Which issue? On the other hand, building a character who simply captures the basic feel of Spiderman--a guy with superhuman strength and reflexes, Hard to Kill, Clinging, Danger Sense, and a gadget-limited Binding attack--really isn't hard at all.

Oh, sorry, one more thing...As long as you are having fun, you're probably doing it right.

------

Anyway, that's my take on the whole thing. I hope this helps.

Mark

Last edited by Mgellis; 01-15-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote