View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
PK

Default Re: Help creating a Familiar

[QUOTE=CcyRdz;1332283One of the special abilities I want my familiar to have is that I am able to use it's fatigue points.

I've read about energy reserve with the limitation granted by a familiar, and stuff... But I still am not completely sure about how it works and what is its cost.[/QUOTE]

Energy Reserve is an advantage that was introduced in GURPS Powers, but also reproduced in several other books. If you can afford it, I'd strongly recommend picking up GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 5: Allies, as it focuses heavily on the concept of familiars.

If you can't, here's a brief rundown: Energy Reserve (ER) costs 3 points/level. Each level buys you the equivalent of 1 FP (Fatigue Point) that you can spend to power your spells without it draining your natural FP in any way. ER recovers independently from FP (at 1 point/10 minutes) and doesn't care if you're resting or not.

Quote:
how does this work? please help me.
Specifically, your PC (not your familiar!) has to pay for the following things:

1. Ally (Familiar) with the Special Abilities enhancement. This is the cost of having it a useful companion around that can scout around, crawl through tiny holes, and so on.

2. Energy Reserve [3/level], with the special limitation "Drains Familiar, -50%" (for a final cost of 1.5/level). How many levels? That depends on how much FP you can draw from your familiar. For example, DF5: Allies assume that spellcasters can draw half of their familiar's FP -- so if a rabbit familiar has HT 12, the spellcaster has to buy "Energy Reserve 6 (Drains Familiar, -50%) [9]."

The level of Energy Reserve is the cap on how much FP you can draw from your familiar. You buy it as an ER because it represents an external source of energy -- it's not personal FP, from your perspective. But every point you use drains 1 FP from your familiar, who must recover it normally. The most ER you could possibly buy would be equal to twice your familiar's FP; for example, assuming that HT 12 rabbit, you could theoretically buy ER 24 (Drains Familiar), because GURPS allows that rabbit to go all the way down to FP -12. (Though with most rabbits, that can kill them, so that's probably not a good idea...)

Quote:
Oh, by the way, I am new to GURPS, so if you use FP for "Fatigue Points" and stuff like that, I would appreciate if you say what the letters stand for so I can understand better... I'd really appreciate it... thank you!!!
There's a sticky thread at the top of this forum listing common abbreviations. But you should definitely know at least the ones used in the Basic Set: ST = Strength, IQ = Intelligence, FP = Fatigue Points, and so on. In addition to those, ER = Energy Reserve.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote