View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
Gidoza

Default Re: A Couple Clarifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
That's logic based on a stack system. It also ignores the fact that one-shot Items (as well as other cards, like Monster Enhancers) can be played from the hand to affect the combat immediately. From the strictest interpretation, you must play the card to actually play it, and that's the one we officially stand by. Declaring your intent means nothing, because you can choose not to follow through, without penalty when it comes to discussing what cards you might play. And since you can't just win the combat without giving the other players a reasonable amount of time to stop you, then everyone has a chance to "react" by playing cards that can change the situation from the player winning to losing again. Of course, there are few cards which could immediately cancel the just played card as well, but the card must be played for you to be able to play them. Again, a player's expressed intent on what cards he's going to play is not to be taken that he has played them until he has actively moved them from the table in front of him or taken them from his hand and added them to the combat.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that this is helping me resolve this issue, as I'm getting two layers of feedback that seem to contradict one another. StormCrow42 said earlier that there is no "stack" mechanism, and thus each card must be fully resolved before continuing. On the other hand, you say that there's no "stack" mechanism, but insist that each player needs to have a chance to "react" to what is done.

If a potion has been put into play, I can no longer get rid of it with a curse because it's not on the player's board (if it's in play and not in the hand, of course); I can react to it by adding one of my own potions to the monster, but I can't "curse" the item because it's already left the player board and this is not a "reaction." This just begs the question again: If I'm going to use a potion from my player board, why would I ever say out loud, "Hm, maybe I should use this potion"? Either the action is fully resolved or it isn't! One-shot items can be played from the hand to affect play immediately, but one-shot items played from the player board also affect play immediately! Sorry, but I need a much, much more concrete example illustrated to me if this is going to make any sense.
Gidoza is offline   Reply With Quote