View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 05:03 PM   #3
David Johnston2

Default Re: Code of Honor (Honesty), point value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorenant View Post
How much points should the following Code of Honor be worth? It's a mix of softened/limited Truthfulness, Honesty and a few different vows. I eyeball between -5 to -10, more likely the former than the other.
Code of Honor (Honesty): Respect the law, local customs and honorable people. Don't steal or cause material harm to innocents. Keep your word and avoid lies. Do not ignore pleas for sincere pleas for help.

Uninmportant Context: After reading a few threads about the Honesty disadvantage, I realized I've underestimate how crippling it is. I thought it would be an advantage for someone who's law-abiding but not blindingly so. No theft, no speeding, no illegal drugs and so on, but apparently someone with disadvantage would also have no trouble with any acts against human rights if it were committed by the state (say Pol Pot's open massacre of the religious). .
Well that's just false. An Honest person obeys the law. That doesn't mean they are automatically supporters of everything the state does. It means that (if they fail their self control check) they will be limited to expressing their disgruntlement in ways that are legal. Admittedly that could be suicidal in an oppressive dictatorship but it is a 15 point disadvantage.

And what is and is not legal is a complicated issue. For example an Honest person [B]can[B] rise up in rebellion. All they have to do is decide that the current people in charge did not take charge in a lawful manner or that they are ignoring the laws in their orders. Honest people expect everyone to obey the law, even those who have the power to make laws. Furthermore, the Honest person must make the call when laws conflict as to which takes precedence. If the Honest person is from a nation that is a signatory to the Geneva Convention, it may very well decide that orders to commit atrocities are illegal. If the Honest person is also a religious person it may decide that God's law is the highest law.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote