Thread: Defining IQ
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 06:55 AM   #112
Icelander

Default Re: Defining IQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonthehand View Post
So many of your points come with "most", "many", "people I know"....you're building an argument around what seems like common sense to you, which isn't the most rigorous way to make them. I winced at the "people have trouble communicating with people significantly less intelligent than them" - if you can't explain things to a layperson, you don't really understand it.
Being able to explain things to those who have difficulty grasping simple concepts and having the patience to constantly do so are two different things.

I know I would never be able to work as a teacher, precisely because it sounds absolutely exhausting to spend most of one's time boiling complex subjects down to the simplest possible explanations, not to mention having to deal with children all day.*

I can imagine that for someone so much more intelligent than ordinary adults that they seem like children to him, it would be extremely frustrating. On the other hand, I just don't think that scoring high on real-world IQ tests has much to do with that kind of hypothetical intellligence, as the real-world tests, in order to be culturally neutral and avoid the need for subjective judgment as much as possible, have actually excluded the vast majority of the myriad things that make up real-world 'intelligence'.

*Cute and all, but any group of twenty or more of them will have several absolutely infuriating examples, who will probably end up taking most of your time. Or at least that's how it worked when I used to be a Scout leader and when I had a summer job as a camp instructor.