View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 09:55 AM   #46
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Options for GURPS Banestorm - 11 years later

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Okay, but why are we discussing it then?

I think you should add Pulp Guns to your game; it came out after Banestorm. :)
Because mystics are already in banestorm. They acquire abilities through "Study, meditation, and physical deprivation". There is a template for them on page 212, and it sinks 14 points into Theology and Philosophy. It also demands Disciplines of Faith, and suggests using the pact limitation.

It also has a section starting on page 26 where it describes the abilities. It gives several possible explanations, the problems with those explanations, and makes it abundantly clear the power is connected to religious fervor. It states that true faith is one of the abilities and that the abilities are unaffected by mana levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
It doesn't appear to have intelligence or agency, though. It's more like a space opera Higgs field that permeates all of the universe. The personal element that is so essential to the Abrahamic faiths isn't there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
That personal element would be present with Christian and/or Muslim miracle workers though.
The personal element is there, but is it supplied by a diety or by the supplicant? The Suffi mystic has a very particular idea of what god is like, and its different from what the Megalan Hermit believes. And yet both get personalized interaction with their deity, who conforms to their expectations (or just tweaks it a little), and the Nomad Shaman gets the gods he's looking for.

This "field" is apparently capable of acting like more than one individual. Yes, this leaves you running divine favor with a force who "acts" like one thing locally but is really another globally. But it doesn't shatter agnosticism, because it doesn't seem to favor one faith over another.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote