Default Re: Wealth does WHAT?!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
While I'm thinking about it:

Social connections

Social background

Professional Reputation

Economic Success
The first two are Status, the third is reputation, only the last is Wealth.

Quote:
I find it rather odd, that people want to believe, that a man who has "comfortable wealth" somehow, can force employers to pay him up to double normal wages for a normal wealth level - regardless of whether they have a relationship with the man or not. Regardless of whether he's from America and is in Greece (for example) or an Armenian who doesn't speak fluent American English in Southern Michigan.
Ah, I see what this is about. No, that's not what's going on here. That might be the case, but it's actually putting the cart before the horse. I have a similar element in Psi-Wars where to join certain organizations, you must have a minimum level of Wealth. This is not because the organization is so snobby, but because if you join that organization, your income will be sufficiently good that you must upgrade your wealth (it also has to do with how Action handles money).

You have the same thing going on here. What GURPS doesn't want you doing is buying Dead Broke, then using your epic Fast-Talk 20 and amazing Savoir-Faire 20 and so on to talk your way into a CEO job and actually earning a Wealthy income. That's point crock! There are two ways you can handle this: You can either say that if someone's job changes, you require a change in Wealth, or you can say that your income is determined by your Wealth, and that what job you have is largely cosmetic. Given that jobs don't typically matter in most adventure games, GURPS has chosen the latter.

This is not meant to be an accurate and realistic simulation of what is going on, that Bill Gates can go down to the local McDonalds and earn millions flipping burgers. Rather, if you want to reflect his sudden fall into poverty, you strip him of his Wealth and then he can go work at McDonalds like everyone else, or you don't particularly worry about what his job is.