View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy(DF) and regular GURPS 4/e questions (Yrth too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
For the most-part it works fine. As noted by some, for clerical magic if there's no pantheon, you will have to justify the 'domain' of each cleric when there's only 3 major religions. I say, the cleric is focused on a different aspects of the god that is worshiped.
That isn't a problem for Dungeon Fantasy (yet anyway) out of the box. What I think would be a problem (for me, maybe not a lot of others given the previous discussion on this) is the agnosticism of the setting, the canonical wizardry healing, and the clash between a setting that is primarily an attempt to rationalize the tropes of FRPGs and a rule set that seeks to embrace them wholly without examination.

I think that if I had to run Yrth DF I would just get rid of clerics, druids and holy warriors. I would then open up the wizard list to all spells. Holy warriors would be replaced by a mystic profession.

I think rather than try to reconcile the disparate themes of the setting and the campaign style, I would instead use Dungeon Fantasy as way to deconstruct the tropes and examine them in a rationalized frame.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote