View Single Post
Old 10-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #23
Calvin

Default Re: Hitting Targets of Opportunity in Combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Maybe. One does note that the shins were always armored in ancient times, though, even when more vulnerable areas were protected (though usually behind a big-ash shield.
10/10 on word play but I've got to deduct a point for the missing right parentheses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
While Kromm's post is interesting, I think it adds one dice roll too many and introduces too many small bonuses with decisions attached that would slow down play. Instead, by giving a +1 bonus while taking a random hit location on purpose, you are looking for openings and dedicating yourself to exploiting them. You don't have time to reconsider if the opening is poor (a hit to an already crippled limb, or heavily armoured shield arm), but you may get lucky and score a hit against an otherwise difficult target such as the face.
I'll probably take a crack at implementing the Kromm post with a macro, but the flat +1 is probably the easiest option for games not on a VTT.

One thing to consider though is that it does change what melee skill levels can do. Getting that +1 pretty much all the time makes a big difference, especially if the skill level is low. Someone rolling at default or at a 10 suddenly has a much better chance of hitting. Without needing to take All Out Attacks, Aims, etc.
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote