View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #73
Icelander

Default Re: [HT][TS]Tactics for realistic suppressors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Who's it taught to though?

I'm guessing it's not something the average solider is going to come up against very often.

I'd have thought it would pretty much be kept to special forces etc.
The only ones likely to actually develop any competence at it are, as you say, special forces of some kind. But it's a part of the basic field manual for the US Army and is, if I remember correctly, at least demonstrated as part of hand-to-hand training for front-line combat MOSes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
I can see the back of neck is going to be tough, especially the pithing attack between the capitals and the skull, as I'd have thought grapples to the head/face from behind will tend to pull the head back thus reducing the angle further (the opposite for attacks to the front of the neck). Luckily for my players a level of detail that GURPS doesn't go into!
There's also the problem of the vertabrae. If the goal is to sever blood vessels, close is actually good enough, because you can cut a fairly wide gash with a sharp knife and you don't actually have to know precisely where in that area the arteries are. By contrast, missing by a millimeter to either side means a non-disabling hit if you're trying for the spine.

In GURPS terms, DR 3 is pretty harsh when the damage per attack ranges from 1d-2 to 1d+2, depending on the level of awesomeness.