View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 05:16 AM   #18
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the week: Bully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
House certainly rates an Odious Personal Habit, regularly rubbing people up the wrong way, but people who work with him quickly learn that it's just House. He knows when to cut it out when he runs into genuinely vulnerable patients, though he tends to hand those off to people who are better at being pleasant than he is, and he's been known to be downright nice, in a grumpy way, to people he respects who are temporarily vulnerable. If he has Bully, it's with self-control 15; he can turn it off.

My reading of Bully as described is that it more or less has to involve punching down, which is why a lot of people wouldn't want to play it. The sitcom character/House type tends to go after people on the same or higher levels. (-50% limitation?)
I disagree that it's just House being snarky. I think it's most obvious with his treatment of the young interns who are candidates to join his team, many of whom are in very vulnerable situations already. One of the outcomes is suicide of one of the newbies.