View Single Post
Old 01-31-2020, 08:34 AM   #12
KevinJ

Default Re: Adding abstractions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat View Post
TFT is such a mathematically sound game, very straightforward, how would one add an abstract idea?

For example, I would like to add an item from my OSR blog to a TFT game, namely, The Book of Miscast Spells. This is a cursed spellbook that has altered spells that put the caster (and potentially others) in danger. How should I approach this idea? If a wizard uses the book correctly things will go wrong for them, but that is the nature of the cursed item.
So here is my advice.
Add whatever you want, just make it work within the TFT mechanics.

For example, I've imported a lot of material I created for 2E AD&D, mostly magic items and concepts. But the mechanics for the new additions have been changed to fit in the framework of TFT while keeping the spirit of the magic from AD&D. I just place them in the Artifact category instead of the normal magic item or item lists.

The following is a quote from the Artifacts document I wrote for myself based on the Artifacts section from ITL. This was for me and based on the world in which it was written for. Other world might not have artifacts at all and other worlds might have no magic and only artifacts.
"Occasionally, characters will find items that can only be described as “It’s like nothing you ever seen before" – items from a more advanced or alien culture. These items are artifacts.
The overall technology on Goranth is medieval – it varies from Stone Age in many places to early Renaissance in a few. Goranth has a well advanced magic system as well, putting it on par with many magical worlds. Anything from a later time period, working on accepted scientific principles, is an artifact. Objects using more or less advanced magical principles are artifacts. Items of a mundane nature, but using materials or processes not available on Goranth are artifacts.
Goranth is also a nexus of activity. Several times in the past, Goranth has been the target of an ‘evil’ Being from another dimension and with each attempt at conquest, new people and new technology (both scientific and magical), has been brought to Goranth."