View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 10:12 AM   #11
Skarg

Default Re: Adding abstractions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMod View Post
To me, Proxy sounds most coherent. The others are a bit of a stretch I think! Note Long Distance Teleport isn't possible with 'only' a crystal ball view for instance.

Just seeing a small cult of IQ 16 wizard assassins (+ apprentices) who Trance for 'the Cardinals ring', immediately Astrally Project there, and then cast Death. Even if the first one dies, the next will succeed. And they could be located literally anywhere on the planet. Sounds a bit OP to me :)
Well, yes... as written, Astral Projection (and Summon Lesser Demon) are nightmares to try to deal with defensively.

And that is the trap of trying to allow "cool things" but then noticing that your world has opportunities for very horrifying uses of magic.

I'd tend to just have it be a book of versions of spells with side-effects. A wizard probably wrote down spells as he was researching and getting flawed versions of spells, or it was written by an incompetent, delinquent, and/or trickster wizard who messed with the instructions in ways the wizard knew would be chaoitic. Or a collection of students' mistakes that actually did something odd rather than not working, saved for later research to see if they stumbled onto anything useful to be researched into reliable practical spells, but then neglected, lost, sold or stolen, or just an obsolete archive of things that were hoarded and forgotten. Or maybe the book is actually PART of a spell research experiment by a cowardly wizard too afraid to try casting spells that have been mixed up like these. Scrying or a Proxy or Crystal Ball, or some other covert means, could be used just to see what happens.

Last edited by Skarg; 01-19-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote