View Single Post
Old 04-28-2018, 11:24 AM   #23
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: [Spaceships] Paying more for better system?

So I've been going through these suggestions with more care and have a couple comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
* Sensor Arrays can be Fine (Sensitive) or Fine (Long-Ranged). Sensitive arrays add +1, or +2 for Very Fine, to skill rolls to use the Sensor, while Long-Ranged arrays increase their Active Sensor Range by +1 or +2 for Very Fine.
With sensors, any bonus to Scan *IS* a bonus to range, since the primary use for high skill is to offset range penalties. There's no need to have separate bonuses here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
* Reaction engines can be ... Fine (Efficient) for a 20% improvement in delta-V. Same for Very Fine and Cheap, but 40% improvement and -25% decrease, respectively.
I'm not a rocket scientist, but it seems that a 20% and 40% boost in delta-v is unrealistically huge. I'm having a hard time finding any accurate numbers for realistic rockets over the years, but my gut just tells me that it's not right. Most rockets using the same fuel have Isp within 10% of one another, and delta-V is just Isp multiplied by the Ln of (full mass / empty mass); most increases in delta-V come from reducing empty mass of the entire rocket by tiny fractions, and those mass savings can come from anywhere from computers to better structural materials for the fuel tanks.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote