View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 03:54 AM   #1
xane

Default Traditional Mapping with Megahexes

I've been experimenting with creating tiles that allow "traditional" mapping but retain the hex/megahex grid used by TFT, I've yet to figure out how to do rooms but the corridors seem to be fine.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/408pvmdgib...04334.jpg?dl=0

I'd be interested what others think of this idea, particularly if it would help with converting maps from other RPG adventures for TFT.

Edit: some explanations:

* the inspiration for these comes from the Melee Map, where you can see a "straight" line of megahexes, so the idea was to recreate this pattern.
* as with any hexagon tessellation, there is a difference between left-right and up-down, the pattern is designed to minimise this as much as possible, there are still separate tiles for corridors running in each direction, each tile has a little arrow indicating what orientation it should be in, the tiles can all be rotated 180 degrees but not 90 degrees.
* the white borders are there because the half-hexes (those with a visible centre dot) are considered usable, so the border allows the character base to fit.
* the "wide" corridors are about 3 hexes wide (a megahex), which using the TFT scale of 1 hex = 4', means they are 12', but because the hexes are slanted it is more like 11', this is as close as you can get to a 10' corridor as per traditional mapping.
* the "narrow" corridors follow a 2-2-1 hex wide path, these are roughly 5.5' to 6' in width.
* the rooms have yet to be sorted out, shown are two types of tile that can be tessellated, these are very close to a 10'x20' room and a 20'x20' room, and still retain the megahex pattern.

Credits: J Roberts @ fantasticmaps.com for the flagstone textures, and Fat Dragon Games (fatdragongames.com) for the 3D doorways.

Last edited by xane; 07-05-2019 at 08:40 AM.
xane is offline   Reply With Quote