Thread: Greater Deities
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 04:42 PM   #8
zogo

Default Re: Greater Deities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamourweaver
You wouldn't put Athena on the list? She's ruling Olympus right now you realize...

Brahm may not be as directly worshipped as Vishnu & Shiva, but he equally dominates Hindu Theology & cosmology.
The problem with that statement is the vast majority of Hindus aren't interested in Theology or Cosmology, not even most Hindu CLERGY! Partly because Hinduism is more a related family of religions than a religion.

His name shows up but the prayers are directed at Shiva & Vishnu. Someone with a broad view of what Ethereals get to be Greater should include Parvati, Lakshmi, and even Sarasvati(Brahma's wife) before Brahma based on the fact that all three of them have active and popular temples wheras Brahma does not.

Of course one of the other problems with Hinduism in IN is that its really hard to draw distinctions about who is a different god. Is Krishna a seperate God from Vishnu? He is often worshipped very seperately, but Krishna is an avatar of Vishnu. Are Shiva and Parvati two distinct beings? If so why is one very common depiction a half Shiva and half Parvati being?

I personally go with Siva, Parvati, Lakshmi, and Vishnu Greater After all if Odin is greater, all four of them probably should be just based on curent worship, even if we didn't have a purity crusade to consider.
zogo is offline   Reply With Quote