View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 08:29 PM   #8
SolemnGolem

Default Re: Star Wars Armada

Likely final bump (from me at least): The SSD is mine. It is large. It is glorious.

People online seem to complain about the fact that its engines are painted blue, instead of the red in the movies. But I'm not sufficiently hard at core, so I'm okay with it.

The SSD is not to scale with the ISD (or any other ships) because if it were, then it would be significantly larger than the official play area. But it's surprisingly close to scale with ISD models used in different games.

The board game Star Wars Rebellion has about 7 ISD models which seem to be near-scale with the SSD, at least if you go on the (perhaps arbitrary) assumption that the bridges are roughly similar sized.

The SSD has enough space near its bridge for you to gently lay down an ISD by the bridge structure, and compare the two. The ISD is sort of nestling in the SSD's shoulder like a tiny baby squirrel in your collarbone.

End-to-end, you can lay about 11 or 12 ISDs to equal the SSD in length, which is apparently close to canon (ha! ha! whatever that means nowadays). But the actual mass or volume displacement of the SSD is much, mich larger than a mere 11x multiplier.

Great fun, and this is my last official ship purchase of the gaming line. I may buy a few 3D printed Strike Cruisers from Mel's Miniatures - but if so, I would likely give them to the Rebels, as their aesthetic suits their side better than the "angry triangles" of the Empire.

Last edited by SolemnGolem; 08-07-2019 at 08:47 PM.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote