Thread: Pretty Orcs
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 04:18 AM   #9
Johnny Angel

Default Re: Pretty Orcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post

For the elf, just imagine any ugly human and add pointy ears. You can't tell me Hugo Weaving (Elrond in the LotR movies) is really all that good looking. ;) Average at best, unattractive at worst.
)...
Elrond -to me- looked borderline scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive Raven View Post
Note above. So, your orc is pretty by orc standards, which may or may not have anything to do with human standards. The trick then is to figure out what orc standards are.

Well, species universals tend to be markers of good health. So, symmetry of form is good. Now, I'm not sure in general, but Shadowrun orks have tusks protruding from their lower jaws. Humans undoubtedly do not find these attractive, but orks probably appreciate a well matched pair in a certain size range. For a species (or subspecies in Shadowrun) that values combat capability, overall size is probably a major component of attractiveness. They're sapient bipeds and, I'm assuming, mammalian, so a good looking female should have wide hips.

I'll leave it to others to figure it out from there.

I suppose part of the question is whether or not humans and orcs are a similar species. I tend to agree that orc beauty would be measured quite differently than human beauty. However, being that the two races can reproduce, it makes you wonder how similar they are considered to be... which I supposed would be a question that would heavily depend upon the setting. For this discussion, I'm thinking mainly of Tolkien, Banestorm, or D&D style Orcs.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote