View Single Post
Old 08-10-2019, 01:42 PM   #17
Bowser

Default Re: Possible Neoprene Overlays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Primarily I want the colours and textures of the material to go with each other.

Functionally, neoprene backed ones are completely non-skid sitting on top of fabric covered neoprene.

The cost difference between neoprene and cardboard overlays is not a factor for me when averaged out over the cost of a neoprene mat collection. We currently have 7 mats (and more to come). Current price is $30 apiece, the total set is $210 + various numbers of shipping costs added in. I have 2 full sets of the mats, somewhere around a $450 investment with shippings to date. I would buy neoprene overlays over using cardboard ones even if they were free.
I'll go on record as agreeing with Cat. I'm not in the same situation as she is in: She's more into miniatures and less into cardboard, but the desire for neoprene overlays remains the same. I must admit (somewhat sheepishly) that I have five sets of all of the mapsheets. I won't do the $$$-math in order not to depress myself. (I wanted to make really, REALLY BIG playing surfaces - I'm trying to design a system of plywood and sawhorse "tables" that allows for some inner channels for people to move in. Maybe I should talk to the model railroad people . . .)

One of those sets started out with the idea that I would cut them up for overlays -- and then I just got carried away. In any case, I've yet to get around to cutting anything yet.

While I will not commit (at this time) to five "overlay mats", I would actually commit, with payment, to at least two, sight unseen, were it to be offered on Indigogo right now. I don't know if I am at all representable of the Ogre crowd, but maybe my input might just sway any decisions my way. Can't hurt.

Of course, the question of what to actually put on such a sheet is the real question, isn't it?

Bowser