View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 09:23 PM   #1
LokRobster

Default Fighting During Flight, air-mounted combatants

My holiday gifting of DFRPG hath seen its rewards: the 18 year-old that received it has been running quite a few games now. He texted me this morning and asked how to run a combat with flying folks. I was pretty sure hadn’t seen that in DFRPG and checked just now in the Exploits index and didn’t see anything along those lines.
My answer was “maybe abstract it a bit and have the fighters roll against DX before they can hit each other”, then he mentioned he was thinking of riders on flying dragons (ok now i want to be playing in that campaign). So i said i was pretty sure that was outside the scope of DF, but yeah , go ahead and do it, just make melee very improbable. Allow ranged combat at some penalty and maybe make a Rider skill roll (or -DX default since who has trained with flying dragons!? ) to line up a good shot first. I tried to highlight for him to focus on the cool idea of the combat and that making it fun is more important that the exact mechanics.

Has anyone else run a Flighty-ish combat?
What advice would you pass on to a new DFRPG GM for this situation?
Did i miss something in the books that covers crazy anctics of dragon-riders?
So far he has only the DF Box.
(I keep encouraging him to join up on the forums and ask stuff here but he hasn’t yet)