View Single Post
Old 04-09-2019, 07:19 PM   #20
TippetsTX

Default Re: Wat! no XP for hurting people and breaking things??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hill View Post
those both do look well thought out .. but Im lookin for a system whereby the players account for their own xp, trusting them with the usual honour system to not screw it up, with little to no discussion or calculation taking up table time.

Id sacrifice a fairer, more nuanced system for this simple self accounting ability myself
So the idea I've been working on is more like this. It's still in the theoretical phase, but the basic concept is is to use a character's stat or XP total to break them down into 3 tiers... Novice, Veteran and Legendary. Then you would do the same for monsters or other opponents. You could use something like Skarg's 'Threat Value' or Hcobb's FP rating as a guide if want a true mathematical assessment of the level of challenges or you could approach it more subjectively (which I probably where I will start). The difference between the two will serve as an XP modifier.

For example, say a starting character (Novice) takes on a more experienced Veteran-level opponent. Then whatever you decide your baseline XP award should be, you multiply it by 2 to adjust for the level of difficulty. Whenever you fight something on-level, the multiplier is only 1, so you only get the baseline XP.

Obviously, there are more details to work out (such as how many Novice opponents would equal a Veteran-level challenge), but I think the abstraction of the idea fits TFT's design.