View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 02:43 AM   #1
Sriseru

Default [OOC] The Fall - Transhuman Survival Game (Interest Check)

It is the 6th of August, the year is 3768.
You and several other people are passengers on board one of the vactrain capsules heading from Asia to North America. Although the trip has several stops along the road, this line tends to be fast with the longest trip usually lasting a little over two hours.
You might be an adult, a teenager, or a child, but you are nevertheless an ordinary citizen of Earth in the 38th Century; you live a complacent life of luxury where sickness, hunger, and death have been all but forgotten.
But this is the day everything changes, for August the 6th, 3768 is the last day in recorded history. Today, the world you have always known will disappear forever.
This is the day of the Fall.

I've been wanting to do a game like this for a long time. Basically this is a radical hard science fiction apocalypse/post-apocalypse campaign where your characters have to survive and endure the total collapse of civilization.

I attempted to run this on another forum, but it received very little interest. Most likely because that forum was mostly geared towards fantasy and the D20 system. Therefor, I decided to try and run it here. :D

However, I should note that I'm a novice GM and that I'm new to the GURPS system. Though, I've spent days reading the rules and a few sourcebooks so I feel confident that I have a sufficient grasp of the rules.

Anyways, here are some Q&A about the game I want to run:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Questions
1. What game system are you running?
GURPS 4th Edition.

2. What 'type' of game will it be? What is the setting for the game?
The game is set in my own homebrewed campaign setting which is a radical hard science fiction universe with a TL of 12, and which leans more towards realism rather than cinematic rules. You can read more about it below.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
4 to 6 six players seems to be a good number. And because this is a game that's centered around survival, I'll be taking alternates, as permanent death is possible.

4. What's the gaming medium (PBP, chat, e-mail etc.)?
Play by Post on the SJ Games Forum.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience and character points)?
You will play as mundane, genetically engineered people or bioroids with 100 starting points, and you may gain up to 50 points from disadvantages. However, at least 50 of your points must be spent on racial templates and/or biomodifications.

Also, note that the number of points you gain from your racial template's disadvantages do not count against your character's limit and may even exceed it. So for instance, if you gain 50 points from the disadvantages of your racial template, you can still gain 50 additional points from your character's individual disadvantages.

6. How much cash or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
You start the game with absolutely no money whatsoever.
You may not purchase gear or cybernetics because these will become useless, also weapons and armor cannot be acquired in the Solar Republic (read more about that below). You may have wireless, self-powered head-up displays or wireless direct neural interfaces, as well as some TL9+ personal belongings on you for free, but all of these things will be rendered useless near the beginning of the game.

7. Are there any particular types of characters that you want... or do not want?
You're ordinary people of this world. Basically, you're like the humans from WALL-E (except not as fat), the people in Logan's Run (except not as violent), or the Eloi from The Time Machine (except not as stupid).

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species?
You may choose among the racial templates and bio-modifications found in the Bio-Tech sourcebook.

The Bioroid meta-trait no longer makes you sterile; if your character is a bioroid, he/she/it can reproduce like normal creatures.

You may also create your own racial template by following the rules in Bio-Tech, but your template may not have any superscience and must first be approved by me. The Earth is full of different human-created species, everything from dragons (though they won't be able to fly on Earth, breathe fire, or be nearly as tough as mythical dragons), dinosaurs, uplifted animals, and even anthropomorphic animals, so let your imagination run wild.
If you do create a racial template, make a write-up of it separately from your character so that I and other players may use it.

9. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
We'll be using Invisible Castle's Dice Roller (unless you guys have a better alternative), enveloped by quote tags in the IC posts. However, I'll be making some secret rolls from time to time.
Also, whenever you make an attack roll, make sure to roll for damage in the same post, because that'll save time.

10. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about?
For the sake of simplicity, we'll be ignoring the rules in Chapter 12 of the GURPS rulebooks. I don't really want to deal with combat maps unless we have to.

That said, I will use the optional rules for "Bleeding" and "Accumulated Wounds" found in B420.
I will also use some homebrewed rules regarding infections and certain diseases. These will be detailed after these questions.

11. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
Your background doesn't have to be too long, considering that everything you've ever known will be lost and your connection to family and friends will be severed near the beginning of the game.
That said, your background needs to lead up to the vactrain capsule. Where did you get on? Where are you going? Why?

12. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
The game will be mostly focused on roleplaying and on survival. The survival aspect could lead to combat and puzzle solving, depending on the situation.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
You'll be restricted to the Basic Set, Bio-Tech, and Ultra-Tech books.
All of you start out Illiterate, though you may know several spoken languages.

As I stated before, you may not purchase gear or cybernetics because these will become useless, also weapons and armor cannot be acquired in the Solar Republic. You may have wireless, self-powered head-up displays or wireless direct neural interfaces, as well as some TL9+ personal belongings on you for free, but all of these things will be rendered useless near the beginning of the game.

I will not allow all characters to have traits that make them virtually immune to starvation, thirst, disease, or sleep deprivation. High resistance is fine, but not immunity or anything close to it (in the case of starvation: the ability to eat anything). I am willing to allow one such character, or a few with only one immunity or pseudo-immunity per character (like one character who is immune to disease and another with Reduced Consumption).

Some disadvantages that are especially fitting for this setting are: Chummy, Confused, Cowardice, Fearfulness, Gluttony, Gullibility, Increased Consumption (usually coupled with Gluttony), Incurious, Laziness, Lecherousness, Pacifism, Phobias, and Squeamish.

Only the following skills are allowed: Acrobatics, Acting, Animal Handling, Aquabatics, Area Knowledge, Artist, Astronomy (Observational), Body Language, Carousing, Climbing, Connoisseur, Current Affairs, Dancing, Detect Lies, Diplomacy, Dreaming, Erotic Art, Fast-Talk, Gambling, Games, Geography, Gesture, Group Performance, Hobby Skill, Intimidation, Jumping, Leadership, Literature, Musical Composition, Musical Instrument, Performance, Poetry, Public Speaking, Running, Savoir-Faire, Sex Appeal, Singing, and Swimming.

Last edited by Sriseru; 11-25-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Sriseru is offline   Reply With Quote