View Single Post
Old 04-12-2020, 06:41 PM   #27
Rupert

Default Re: Fixing round length in GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
A small fight generally involves teamwork. Large groups generally involve small teams.

The scale goes up that high because, for example, an artillery commander might need to take into account a much larger battlefield than Platoon #123.

My post wasn't clear in a number of ways. It could have used quite a bit more refinement - excluding that the idea isn't that good in the first place. And that lack of clarity has caused additional confusion. So yeah, that's on me.
Note that that artillery commander doesn't need to consider their larger battlefield in great detail though.

I think what you're really looking at is the slower reactions of larger units, due to information having to move up through more layers of command, and orders to move back down through them. However, while those things are moving, subordinate units and individuals are still acting (hopefully), and still doing things at their normal tempo (again, you hope). The battle only looks slower as you add more men and units because you view becomes more remote.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote