View Single Post
Old 04-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #12
Railstar

Default Re: Funding semi-realistic monster hunters

Thanks to all for the advice and answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
A few questions for clarification. Is this in the USA? Which state? How do you plan to avoid the PCs being arrested?
Yes, it’s in the USA, the state is Kansas, a fictional city just so I feel better about ignoring real-life geography.

How do I plan to avoid the PCs getting arrested? I don’t, but I figure that isn’t a problem for the monster-hunters. They might be hesitant to engineer the PCs arrest, in case that backs the PC-monsters into a corner that might result in a massacre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
The Catholic Church may well have a secret agency exclusively for the Hunt, with resources of its own... And secretly aided by the "Big Brother"
This is what I am trying to avoid. The church would give some support, preferably in resources other than cash, but probably doesn’t have tons of cash to spare on this team. I figure the support would more often take the forms of places to stay, bed and board depending on the area, but not large cash sums.

On your first post, there will be factions who prefer to keep the existence of the supernatural secret for the reasons you mentioned (like the Cabal), but the Agency stuff would not really affect this group one way or the other. Maybe they get unexpected intel from unexpected sources sometimes, but it doesn’t really explain how this team covers expenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Loot.

This type of operation is not going to be a '0 intel strike on the vampire leader'.

They are going to have to move slow, cautiously and have a good understanding of what they are attacking, see how far the tendril's stretch to assure that they don't get wiped out by some contingency after the fact.

Further, unless they are unrealistically lily white in there mission, they are not going to sweat the lives of sympathizers or conspirators.

So a daytime raid on the vampire lord's compound, simultaneously with taking the banker who's been handling the vampire's account hostage. Mixture of chlorine gas and garlic powder for the compound delivered by drones, cut the power, show up with some repainted van's that look like the power company, a bit of torture gets the banker to release the codes for the accounts, move everything of value out of the compound, kill any survivors, then torch it. Drain the vampire's accounts, kill the banker (possibly using a 'pet vampire' they have on staff so it looks like it was internal strife).

They probably aren't going to make more money than a dedicated criminal enterprise- but perhaps they will, which might be an extra motivation for some of them- they are in it for the money.
This is really good! The outline about how they siphon off the resources is exactly what I’m looking for. I think the group would prefer a less brutal method of getting the info from the banker (a psi or a mage, probably), but having a clear process how they go about getting full value from the monsters they kill is really useful. More on this nature would be fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
An investment banker with unusually strong willpower gets visited by a horrific creature who attempts to mind control him. Deciding its in his best interests to play along he just listens to the thing and nods a lot when the monster talks to him like he is thrall, eventually turning over a multi-million dollar account to manage.

The banker vanishes into the night and uses the money to build an organization stop such groups.
We could combine this with the earlier idea, and perhaps the banker was mind-controlled until the hunters freed them from it’s control? In which case, the banker might have a major reason for giving the team access to the monster's funds.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote