View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 11:03 PM   #2
David Bofinger

Default Re: Staffs and Quarterstaff talent.

I find the Rick solution a bit complex, overly special and unnecessary. A wizard's staff should be a sidearm for emergencies, not a melee weapon that can compete with a fighter's primary killing tool. My preferred mechanic:
  • The benefit of the staff spell is that a wizard can store mana in the staff, and cast spells while wielding the staff, and incidentally e.g. use it as an explosive booby trap or turn it into a snake if that's his thing.
  • The staff spell doesn't provide any bonus to damage.
  • If the staff is a small item then it's useless in melee combat, but is at least portable and concealable.
  • If the staff is larger it can be used as a quarterstaff, club, maul, boomerang, spear, javelin or whatever it's shaped like. It does damage like any other lump of wood of that size and shape.
  • You have to think about whether it's possible to attach a non-ferrous head to it and use it like a polearm. I think that would probably stop it being used like a staff.
  • It probably should be possible to use a sword instead, and call it an athame.

All that said, I once played a campaign where our characters all had the advantages of both heroes and wizards, and we all used mauls that had 2+0 bonus damage for staff of power in addition to regular maul damage, and it was quite fun.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote