View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 06:58 AM   #5
flankspeed

Default Re: Critical success / failure on more than 3 dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
.... You could also have 3 white dice, use other colors for extra dice, and roll them all at the same time, using only the white ones for automatic / critical results.
I love the sheer elegance of this idea! No need to even waste space on a GM screen or in the rule books to delineate critical results for rolls of more than 3 dice. I presume the 3 dice representing the automatic/critical results would override the total of all the dice taken together IF the 3 dice came up with automatic/critical numbers.

I just noticed the same technique could be used with throws of 2 dice for especially easy tasks. Roll 2 dice of one color and 1 die of another color. Use the 3 dice together to determine automatic successes, failures, and crits, but read only the 2 dice of one color for normal results.

Task rolls of only 1 die are already considered automatic successes, but 3 dice could still be rolled together to see if a critical success comes up while ignoring any other result than a critical success.

This multi-colored dice approach seems to be a nice, elegant solution to rolls of any number of dice!

Last edited by flankspeed; 08-09-2018 at 07:12 AM.
flankspeed is offline   Reply With Quote