View Single Post
Old 12-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #15
thrash

Default Re: Traveller and modern electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
There was a character improvement system in classic Traveller, but it didn't allow for nearly the advancement one would receive in the character-generation services.
... which is why I specified "experience point system." Character improvement existed, but not as a reward for play.

Quote:
There were some knowledge skills -- more than any other early role-playing game -- but they were pretty thin.
I disagree. All Classic Traveller skills were practical: they allowed you to do something. There were no skills for which the only benefit was allowing you to know things and answer questions about them -- as opposed to, say, History or Area Knowledge or Occultism skills in GURPS.* That function was covered (if at all) by the Education characteristic.

I'm belaboring the point because I think understanding information as an implicit rewards system is important to comprehending how Traveller played.

I'm willing to be wrong, however. What skills were you thinking of?

* Legal skill is an edge case: it does serve some useful functions, but is not primarily described in those terms.
thrash is online now   Reply With Quote