View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 02:26 PM   #8
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: A Request For Help On Characters (Plus Lenin-2 Expansion Ideas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Kossack 115 View Post
I have quite a few ideas, but even trying to use the sample Infinity Patrol characters from GURPS 4E's Basic Set, I'm spinning my wheels trying to sort out the stats.
The iconic characters aren't really example PCs for an Infinite Worlds game. They're demonstrations of how to build characters in a variety of ways, but their capabilities are very different. The one of them that's most like your character concept is Iotha, the elven archer, but she isn't close enough to just copy.

If the Basic Set is a bit much to get to grips with all at once, you might want to download GURPS Lite, which is free, easier to digest, and won't lead you astray, although it doesn't have all the options of the full Basic Set.

Before you start building a character, you need to talk to your GM, to get guidance on point budget, optional rules and so on. Your question on weight has an easy answer: pick a weight that seems plausible to you, since it doesn't actually affect very many things. The rules answer is: having picked a height, you also need to pick an ST score, and then look at the table on p. 18 of the Basic Set. That gives you height and weight ranges for modern humans by ST, and 5'10" allows you to be anywhere between ST 9 and ST 13. You'll probably be Average build, rather than Skinny or Overweight, and you can pick a weight out of the range for your ST.

A sniper needs as high a Guns (Rifle) skill as you can afford and the GM will let you have. That's a DX-based skill, and so is Stealth, also vital for snipers, so you will want to have an above-average DX. You also want to have above-average ST (for carrying equipment), IQ (because you'll also need IQ-based skills), and HT (for surviving in a hostile world). All that means you probably can't afford to have any of these stats far above average, but that depends on your point budget.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote