View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #18
Varyon

Default Re: Potential Pitfalls for a Superscience Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
If your players ask why, just be sure to have some kind of nuclear incident that trumps Chernobyl ;)
"We left that nonsense behind on Earth. Do you have any idea how many people died because of radiation poisoning from those horrible nuclear reactors? Sure, you hear a lot about the damage nukes did - and make no mistake they murdered a lot of people - but the real killers were those reactors."
(While we're using Sol system for our examples, in this setting Sol actually exists within a hyperspace "bubble," cutting Earth off and relegating it to background status. Everyone that characters will interact with are the descendants of generation ships that made the slow trek out of this void. You don't even need a disaster, just statistics blown out of proportion and distorted over a long period of time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Time is money. Just getting Ceres/Vesta this side of Mars saves time, fuel, and shipping costs. Safety becomes a valid argument, as anything can go wrong in space. Remember, if Mars is blocking your line of sight for communications, that "OHCRAP! S.O.S." signal could be blocked for hours. Yes, I'm sure satellites could be set up, but bribery/blackmail/etc can be quite convincing.
Indeed. I may well end up using something like this as a plot point, although I'm currently undecided.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote