View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
Kallatari

Default Re: Stargate RPG coming this summer

Personally, I'll take a wait and see approach.

While I'm not fan of d20, the D20 core mechanics aren't bad, and there are enough variations in the rules that some D20 games are pretty good. D&D (of all editions) generally bugged me because of how Hit Points worked (and how that then trickled into many combat rules), but various d20 games (3E) more or less addressed this issue with options such as splitting them into Vitality and Wounds (e.g., d20 Star Wars or the previous d20 Stargate SG-1 by AEG) or Toughness Saves (e.g., True20 or Mutants and Masterminds; these two are the only d20 rule sets I'd consider running if I couldn't get a GURPS game going).

I agree, the treatment of guns are usually weak in d20 games, but it depends on exactly how they work. For example, some had OK burst fire rules, others were really bad (e.g., add +1 to damage...). The previous Stargate SG-1 used the d20 Spycraft rules for gear and firearms, which were one of the better ones out there. It still had its flaws, but for d20 was good.

As to skills, they can also easily change them to match how 3E worked. Although at that point, I'm not sure I'd say the game is based on 5E where one of the core concepts seems to be that you have the same bonus to everything you can do, which is determined based on your level.

So, all in all, depends on how much they adhere exactly to D&D 5E or how many variants they will use for their own specific game. I do fear they'll probably stick closely to 5E, so odds are I won't particularly like the rules either.

But then again, I usually buy other RPG games solely for the "setting" information, which I adapt (as opposed to convert) to GURPS for actual play anyway. I'll actually be more interested in how much the setting information in the new Stargate RPG differs and improves from what was already in the AEG Stargate RPG, as for me, that will determine whether it's worth purchasing or not. From what I've heard so far, I'm guessing not much.
Kallatari is offline   Reply With Quote