View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 09:02 AM   #30
platimus

Default Re: How do you all handle mounted combat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekitsune13 View Post
The rules for mounted combat in TFT are very detailed, with a rider able to have a different facing than the mount, as well as being able to get dismounted. My problem is I play with miniatures, and they are all one piece and glued. Plus most mounted models don't have a dismounted version of them either. This would make it hard to act out the rules as written.

I was wondering if any of you have come up with some alternate rules for dealing with mounted figures. An easy solution might be to just treat them as a whole fighter, similar to a large create like a Centaur or Troll. It would basically be all or nothing with them. That's kind of the way I'm leaning right now.
Here's an idea: Use flat, multi-hex counters for mounts. Set the miniature for the rider on top of it. If he dismounts, replace the flat counter with a miniature for the beastie (if you have one). The flat counter doesn't have to be paper/thin either. You could...
- paste some nice images of a horse onto a wooden block
- get a horse mini encased in a clear substance. the result is a clear block with a horse in it. trophy shops will do this sort of thing. not sure how to DIY

Also, put a chess Knight in the hex not occupied by the rider to denote the figure is mounted and show the facing of the horse. Will look a bit strange though when the rider is in-front of the "head" and the "head" is facing him :P

EDIT2
If you are comfortable with modding your mounted figures, you could cut the heads off the riders. Drill tiny holes in the necks. Insert short pins/pegs and reattach the heads. Now they can swivel to show facing. Just ignore the stuff in the rules about being able to shift between the two hexes of a horse and know that you can attack into those adjacent hexes on the side of the horse you are facing.

Last edited by platimus; 10-10-2018 at 07:14 PM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote