View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 08:38 PM   #10
43Supporter

Default Re: Odd Designs: The "Tail-End-Charlie" Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
If you can go off-road, all DWs are nixed.
How so? Last I checked the rules, most DWs work normally off-road; and any TEC driver who isn't covering the shoulders as well as the pavement ain't doin' his job.

Quote:
In our games we allow a grace period in that the 1-2 zone doesn't apply until the dropping vehicle breaks contact with it's own mines - otherwise they could never be deployed from side arcs. If a vehicle counter crosses one of it's own counters on the other hand regardless of when that occurs it runs the standard 1-4 chance of detonating - otherwise you have to start making up rules for when mines become armed.
I'd have to archive-dive to be sure, but IMSMC the "official" ruling was a vehicle couldn't be affected by its own dropped weapons unless and until it was out-of-contact with same.

Quote:

I would also add that bike gangs never play list price ;)
That's a game-balance argument -- where most games have "points" of some sort to keep forces balanced, _CW_ had "list cost". In all the games I've played, considerations like "secondhand" or "jury-rigged" were never allowed.

Quote:
The longevity of spikes is a valid consideration, but spikes only remove tires, not wheels and have reduced effect on solids - most of my serious convoy designs rely on solids as otherwise the attrition from debris is just too much of an economic drain. Plasticores are probably too expensive and heavy, but they are capable of dealing with multiple spike counters for only a 1 HC loss. I have vehicles that are still driving on depleted plasticores as once the rubber is gone, they work just fine as wheels (and if our reading of the core is correct they are immune to weapons that cannot damage vehicular armour).

Tire loss is pretty bad, but nothing says "rethink your strategy" better than internal damage through the under body ;)
This assumes one has access to Plasticores -- which, at the time of this design, didn't exist. If one advances the tech base to where Plasticores are available, one also has *much* more devastating DWs available.

And "automatic HC -6 at highway speed" has always proved an effective deterrent for me. ;)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote