View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 05:52 AM   #20
Dalin

Default Re: brainstorming noncombat encounters for my mega dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
This a combat/trap encounter.
Depends on how one implements it. I was picturing more of an initial puzzle involving challenges without gear.

Quote:
Regardless, I try to avoid this sort of railroad in any game. Its 100% out in my megadungeon which is all about the players choosing what they want the PCs to do.
I like to design interesting failure conditions (beyond TPK) in big adventures, so having an "In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords" variant in my back pocket can be a fun way to go. Might not get used, but knowing it's an option allows me to make other design choices with it in mind (e.g., a reference to the Labyrinth of Doom in the mural room). And, as a player, I've certainly wielded my choices in ways that led to capture without it feeling like it was meant to be. Invariably, excellent fun gaming ensues.

In a megadungeon with lots of factions and whatnot, it may be rather likely that the PCs will get in over their heads at some point. Might be interesting to have a Labyrinth of Doom on the map somewhere so that the orcs/troglodytes/shroomkins can drop their naked captives there.

On another note, a fun encounter I remember from one of the Desert of Desolation modules (loved that series) was the neverending pit. It was basically a huge shaft that teleports you back to the top as you are falling. One of the passages crossed the shaft, IIRC. It can simply be a puzzle of how to get across. Or, more interestingly, something is falling past that they need, or must avoid, keeping track of the timing, etc.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote