View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 11:16 PM   #5
Michael Thayne

Default Re: [Ultra-Tech] Conservative hard SF... but not implausibly conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
If you have the capability to build a Dyson sphere, you are a Type II civilization and a lot of things are available to you. You could also build any class of stellar engine. You've ended poverty, probably also disease, and have likely achieved some level of biological immortality if you are into that. You have survived for a million years at this level so you aren't probably worried about civilizational instability. Your are probably in it for the long haul now, so you are definitely looking to move eventually, so you may be using your entire star system as a starship and are using it to move closer to a younger system with habitable planets. You might be worried about the Great Filter, so you might be trying to figure out where everyone else is. You might be interested in becoming a Type III civilization, especially since you may also be worried about the end of the stellar era, and taking control of the galaxy is a good first step to emigrating to a new universe.
I'm not sure all of this follows. Per Wikipedia, true Type II status may require solar sails thinner than can be built with any real material. I had in mind more what Wikipedia calls a "Dyson swarm". I lean towards biological immortality being possible, but I'm not sure what it has to do with Dyson swarms. Nor is it obvious using the whole star system as a ship would be feasible—emigrating to a new universe even less so.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote