View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #22
Varyon

Default Re: Spear worth it? fantasy campain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
Why are we saying +2 to parry? My understanding is that, while Form Master allows one to freely switch to staff mode for +2 to defend, but this would imply the use of staff skill, which defaults to Spear-2, resulting in only a net +1 to parry after the staff bonus when compared to an ordinary spear parry [or a parry with a non-spear, non-staff weapon at equal skill]. One could buy up Staff skill to spear level, but, unless one's skills are not yet very far above DX level, this will not be an efficient use of one's points (when skills are high enough that Staff would cost 4 points to increase by a level, those four points could have raised Spear by a level and raised the Staff default in the bargain). Have I been playing this wrong these past years?
Ugh, sorry, yeah, stupid defaulting rules are stupid. At worst, you're looking at another Perk, Weapon Adaptation (Staff to Spear*), but honestly I'd just give the benefit for free to anyone who had Form Mastery with a spear. Actually, I just have Staff and Spear as a single skill to start with, with Staff Grip as an option that reduces damage in exchange for better Parries.

*Some consider the +2 Parry to be a function of the skill, rather than the weapon, in which case it would need to be Spear to Staff.