View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 12:24 AM   #18
zot

Default Re: New Followers / Monster Followers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I'm not entirely sure that's a valid consideration. If I recall correctly, each of the "new followers" she acquired went along with her for their own reasons (and benefit); the Cowardly Lion wanted courage, the Scarecrow wanted brains, and the Tin Man wanted a heart. That sounds to me more like gathering quest companions (additional PCs) who accompany someone who tells them where they can find a quest object (in this case, the Wizard of Oz) who can fulfill their desires, not the gathering of subordinates totally and exclusively dedicated to her cause.
If it were Gollum, though, I don't think they would have joined.

I think the most effective leaders inspire their followers to act with their own initiative and take on the cause(s) as their own.

Although I'm a programmer, I've participated in product sales for our company in the past and what Dorothy did could be considered sales. Here's a spot I just found from a page on "how to find a sales champion" for selling into an organization and I think there's a lot of overlap with Dorothy gaining companions:

Quote:
If your product would work well for the company, now is the time to convince your champion. Some tips for doing so include:
  • Making it easy to grasp what your company does, and what you offer
  • Explaining how your product can quickly solve the prospect’s specific business challenges
  • Sharing why and how other companies use the product, and draw parallels
In order to transform someone into a champion, they must feel a real passion for your product in order to fight for it. If they understand the product fully and see the business value, you have a true champion on your hands.
You could say that Dorothy "educated the potential customers" about the Wizard and convinced them that it was actually in their own best interest to "buy into her cause".
zot is offline   Reply With Quote