View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #150
Rick_Smith

Default Reputation - A skill???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
So how would Reputation work? ...
Hi Steve, everyone.
To me reputation should always come with two bits of information. What the reputation is and where it applies. Reputations in my game are always earned in play. Sometimes I will say to one of my players, "Make a note on your character: you have earned a reputation of discretion and tactfulness with the Ironband Dwarf clan."

This way the player can remind me of this months or years later when it applies.

Asking about reputation in this thread suggests that Steve is thinking of making it a talent. I'm not keen on this. But if I was going to go with the idea, I would say that the talent represents a knack for self promotion and self advertisement that communicates the sort of reputation you wish to project.

"Everything about that guy screamed cold blooded killer! I didn't want to mess with him!"

Such a reputation would travel with you, so you wouldn't have to write down where it applies.

I would consider NOT making this sort of thing a talent. Let us say that you spend 1,000 experience (XP) and can write down what sort of presence you want to project. Each player can have zero or one of these, 'attitudes'.

But I think the simplest rule is just say that they must be earned in play.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote