Thread: New Skills
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #147
zot

Default Intimidating a room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
So how would Reputation work? A sort of extra Charisma limited to situation that were relevant to the reputation and in a place where the character is known? I can see only a few reputations that might play to this: as a honest boss, as an effective agent, as a seriously formidable fighter or wizard, as a total crazy . . . Is there a different mechanic that would be simple and make sense?
[Edited to change Reputation to Reputation (really bad dude)]

Here's how I'd do it (after considering some arguments on the forum)...

The Cast of Characters
Clint Westmeadow: Reputation (really bad dude), Charisma... 2 talents
Joe Saloon Patron: family person, just wants to be left alone, etc.... -1 talents
5 Bandits: tough guy, bandit, etc.... 1 talent

What happens
Clint's player: I want to intimidate the whole saloon and clear out as many people as possible using Reputation and Charisma. "All right, anyone who doesn't want to die needs to go home. I don't want to kill innocent people..."
GM: We'll use a one-roll contest since we all know that Clint's a man of few words (and many bullets)
GM: ok, roll 3 dice...
Clint's player: rolls 3 dice I succeeded by 4
GM: rolls SIX dice for the saloon patrons -- one roll for the whole group (1 extra for the negative position plus two more for Clint) The patrons all scoot
GM: rolls FOUR dice for each bandit (Clint's talents minus theirs yield one extra die) Three of the bandits draw their weapons but two of them run away. There might be a faint odor but it's too quick to really tell...

The base is 3 dice, less talents means more dice.

Last edited by zot; 07-12-2018 at 02:11 PM. Reason: enhancement
zot is offline   Reply With Quote