View Single Post
Old 03-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #70
kreios

Default Re: [Blog] n-Body Politics

Since I forgot to post the link last week (though it got hit by GurpsDay), here's a double feature of Planetary Invasion posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetary Invasion
As we’ve seen last time, there’s sort of a Mexican standoff in space: Spacecraft are vulnerable to ground fire, but planetary defences can be killed fairly easily by orbital bombardment. This, by the way, fits with the “if you can see it, you can kill it” which seems to have been the military trend of the last few decades.

This implies that spacecraft can hang back (such that they can dodge incoming shots) and slowly search for any suspicious ground craft which they then bombard (using the fact that those railgun tanks cannot dodge as well as spacecraft). But this cannot kill any submarines or tanks lying low (a fuel cell or MHD turbine tank that’s idling will be almost invisible).

So - are the spacecraft screwed? I don’t think so.
Continue reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetary Invasion: Logistics
An army marches on its stomach, as somebody (the quote is attributed to both Napoleon and Friedrich II) once said. Accordingly, let’s take a very rough look at the logistics of a planetary invasion.

I’m saying a very rough look because, ultimately, we don’t yet know what kind of technology is used, and this will change the number. But, for now, since we just want a rough estimate, I’ll be using roughly modern supply numbers.
Continue reading...
kreios is offline   Reply With Quote