Thread: New Skills
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #14
Rick_Smith

Default Re: New Skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I don't think that's what he said at all, Rick -- I think he's stating that the only real difference between skilled opponents often comes down to luck. And presumably, the people who all have the various talents are roughly equal in skill in most ways.
Hi JLV, everyone.
Oh, maybe? Want to weigh in Chris?

Fencing is IQ 10, and requires a DX of 14. So a starting character can take both Sword and Fencing talents.

So someone with Sword + Fencing feels to me like a "talented beginner" or perhaps a "competent swordsman". Good but not exceptional. Certainly not the best of the best, the master swordsman of sagas & legends.

Under current rules (where you can pick up as many talents as you want), characters with another focus (say a Thief armed with a rapier), could max out sword fighting talents fairly casually. "You know, swords are not my main focus, but it is only one talent. What the heck. I'll be equal skilled to the best swordsman. Why not?"

UC v, requires DX 16, & 11 memory. UC v is an example of a "hard to get talent".

If Strike Master (6), required a fairly high IQ (need to know lots of physiology of many different types of creatures and monsters), then gaining it would require some focus and effort. Our casual thief might not have the IQ, or wish to spend that much experience to get the 6 point talent.

Expert Defender (4), needs medium ST & IQ and requires a high DX. Our casual thief has the DX & IQ, but being in fights defending is not his main focus. If there was a better hiding / sneaking talent (which I suggested), maybe he would go for that rather than getting a couple more ST and taking this talent?

Trained Reflexes (11), adj DX 16+. (Perhaps broken up into a couple of talents). This gives UC v like abilities but for armoured fighters. No way the casual thief is getting this.

A few tough to get, powerful talents would increase the number of characters possible. TFT could better distinguish between a beginner, an average practitioner, and a master. It would also give something for a mid level player to really lust after. "Let's play next week! I'm only 3 sessions away from getting talent X!"

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote