View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #45
Varyon

Default Re: High Amounts of non penetrating damage. Bullets VS Plate Carriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
But that doesn't really detract from the point that 8.3 kg m/s is really not very much force here.
It's not much momentum, but it's around 3.5 kJ force. A punch over 1 kJ is remarkable, so that rifle round should have more crushing damage than even a rather strong punch. The issue, of course, is that not all crushing damage is created equal - I believe a punch tends to have a good deal more momentum than a 5.56 NATO round, so the punch should cause more knockback. GURPS simply ties knockback to damage for the sake of simplicity, so things can fall apart a little here, but I don't think it does so overly much for the mild cinematic default of GURPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
The thing is there are also target specific factors in weather something gets stuck as well (generally bone placement, tissue type and depth of penetration) but also changing angles etc. So attack placement can be factor as well!
Indeed. Part of my planned Overhaul is to basically replace* the damage roll with a roll to represent hit placement, for a similar effect (as well as possibly some add-on effects - a bullet to the arm isn't very likely to cripple unless it hits the bone, in which case it's very likely to cripple if it has decent damage; effects of hit placement on whether an impaling weapon gets stuck are possible as well), and which also dictates the damage cap. As it stands, a low-damage roll with high-powered rifle still does the character's full HP in injury, while the Overhaul would change this to a glancing blow.

*Characters with low skill still have a damage roll, but with normal damage as the best result - they are basically rolling to not screw up. I assume, absent attack options dictating otherwise (Defensive Attack, Committed Attack, or the range allowed by my Combat Posture Overhaul - which can be found on the blog in my signature), skilled combatants strike with consistent force. This isn't strictly realistic, but is close enough to justify not adding in another roll.