View Single Post
Old 07-17-2020, 07:16 PM   #12
kirbwarrior

Default Re: TK w/Based on Attribute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I take it one step further, and treat physical skills "TK Broadsword" (etc) as a different skill than regular "Broadsword".
I could see that being a perfect option in some settings. As for defaults, I think -5 or -6 would be fine; You've had training, but it's not fantastic when you have to use your body. The default is only really useful at high skill levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
Having double checked what it says there I'm sure that what I said in the first place is correct. It does not replace the need for the skill, it replaces the attribute:
E.G.To wield a broadsword with Telekinesis requires a DX based Broadsword check. If you do not have a broadsword skill you can roll on default off of DX at it's usual default of DX-5.
If your TK has Based On IQ it requires an IQ based broadsword check instead, and if you do not have broadsword you can roll on default off of your IQ at the usual relative level for IQ-5.
If your TK has Based on Sex Appeal wielding a broadsword requires a Sex Appeal based Broadsword check (not normally a thing, GMs should decide if they want this to be a thing), and if you do not have broadsword you can roll on default off of your Sex Appeal at the usual relative level for Sex Appeal-5.

EDIT note: If you would like the skill to replace the attribute and any skill when using TK, that would be a totally valid use of a wildcard skill! Based On (TK!) +20%
I like the idea of still requiring the base skill or suffering defaults even with an all-encompassing skill as your example with Sex Appeal. As for a wildcard skill, I'm not even sure I'd use Based On since bang skills already can be floated to different attributes.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote