View Single Post
Old 04-22-2020, 06:05 PM   #14
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Re: Modular Powers: a flexible powers/magic system

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
This all looks nice except this part. Your pools is already limited by the trait in question (which is more limiting with DR 50 w/ Silver only than Control Space) if we are taking this based on Wildcard Power. Mind, that's by RAW, I don't mind it when the WPP seems to be more the base power than the chosen trait (as a flexible magic system would imply).
I think the Limited Scope is important because Wildcard Powers can do just about anything with justification, which is actually a discussion I had here. Furthermore, because a Modular Ability could cover any possible power (except social powers, I suppose) for roughly the same price, it makes sense that the Wildcard Power Pool would have the same scope.

I don't think the base ability is really much of a limiter—nor should it be! If I have the Kryptonian Power Talent with Flight as my base ability, I can certainly justify using my Wildcard Power Pool to shoot lasers out of my eyes! Even if you said no, I would argue that I can turn back time with the power of Flight because Superman does it.

It's hard. Supers is definitely a genre full of BS-ing. (Which isn't a problem. It's just an observation. That BS-ing can be really fun!) If anything, I think Wildcard Powers should have included such a limitation, but the rules seemed to be going for a very simplistic approach. This is supposed to be the not-quite-as-simple-but-still-simple approach. If DR 50 (Limited, Silver Only) and Control Space don't have the same flexibility, they shouldn't cost the same. In my games (which don't tend to be in the Supers genre), they wouldn't, and I would definitely never make them the same price (in terms of the Wildcard Power Pool).
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote